From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk3 useflag and support of older toolkits
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 03:50:32
1 On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 14:40:50 +0100
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:33:47 +0200
6 >> Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
7 >> > Well the problem is simple, we need to ship webkit with gtk2 and
8 >> > gtk3 support. This is needed because gentoo has gtk2 based
9 >> > desktop/apps and because we want to ship gnome3 for example.
10 >> >
11 >> > Cool thing is that webkit supports being built with each toolkit
12 >> > without conflicting with the build from the other toolkit hence we
13 >> > ended up using SLOTS.
14 >>
15 >> You could just have gtk2 and gtk3 use flags in the ebuild, use
16 >> REQUIRED_USE to ensure that at least one is enabled, and build things
17 >> twice in the ebuild if necessary.
18 >
19 > Ah, so because a few paludis users may be building an additional
20 > variant of webkit-gtk unnecessarily, we should force all Gentoo users
21 > to randomly rebuild 1-2 variants depending on how soon they're going to
22 > get the USE correctly.
25 Let's all agree that the current solution is less than ideal and could
26 use improvement. I have several Gentoo & Portage only desktops and I
27 find myself annoyed with webkit-gtk and its revisions and rebuilds.
30 Doug Goldstein