From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 04:51:25
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:17:12 +0100
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Putting a tag in the file name or at the to of the file as comment
5 >> (maybe using a #! line) is the same ...
6
7 > * It's a format restriction. Some formats have to start with something
8 > that's not #!.
9
10 Who cares? Gentoo uses the ebuild/bash-with-shebang format. If you're
11 trying to shove in something outside of that, that would be a package
12 manager-specific format. Like XML-stuff (that can't include the shebang
13 or EAPI="foo" at the top) specifically for, say, Paludis.
14
15 But wait,
16
17 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
18 >> robertz wrote:
19 >> especially PM specific EAPI. We can't have PM specific EAPI,
20 >> otherwise we are risking forking/splitting ourself.
21 >
22 > Package manager EAPIs don't belong in the main tree, but they have
23 > uses outside of it.
24
25 If it's package manager-specific, then it doesn't belong in the main
26 tree, as you stated. Would that include trying to push in the proposed
27 suffix changes? If they have uses outside of it, then consider
28 supporting it *only in that package manager*, rather than trying to
29 force it on what is largely an unreceptive Gentoo group. Near as I can
30 tell, it's only the Paludis folks that are interested in pushing this
31 GLEP through.
32
33 It doesn't seem like additional suffix flexibility is all that desirable
34 except to the folks who represent one package manager. And, well, one PM
35 does not make a specification. Mostly. Sorta. Occasionally. Sometimes.
36 You'd think.