From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 2004.0 - New test stages
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 05:57:07
1 Adrian Almenar wrote:
2 > Well as a basic tester (Stage 1):
3 >
4 > I think the make.conf that the stage has its very incomplete:
5 >
6 > 1.- I think the docs should have a section were the user can configure the CHOST variable, so he can change it for optimal performance of his hardware.
7 > 2.- It should have at least a #SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage", so the user can change it to the closest rsync mirror.
8 > 3.- This exactly the same as point three but with GENTOO_MIRRORS.
9 > 4.- In the end, it should have a full make.conf cause after bootstraping, stage2 and stage3, its the same make.conf.
10 > So users will start setting USE vars but then when a portage update comes, the will have to merge a lot of make.conf code, that usually its not easy for a starting user.
11 > I think its easy to merge a file that has less differences than one having a lot of differences (Make it more userfriendly.), please dont reply me with the argument that a user starting with gentoo has to know these basics, cause we are always talking about trying to have things working easy for any kind of user. (Again. make it userfriendly.)
15 the
16 /etc/make.conf.example
17 should be present.
18