From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Need design help/input for eclean-kernel
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 00:17:05
1 On 06/30/2016 08:38 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > Back in 2011 I started a project called eclean-kernel. The idea was
5 > pretty simple -- to have a tool that would clean the old kernels for
6 > me since their install is not controlled by the package manager. This
7 > little project of mine seems to have gained a lot of popularity.
8 >
9 > Sadly, over time a lot of people had trouble with it. Aside to minor
10 > Python problems, eclean-kernel proved too simple to handle multitude of
11 > user systems with varying /boot layouts. In fact, even I don't use it
12 > on all of my systems since it doesn't handle them properly.
13 >
14 > After being buried in another set of bug reports, I'd like to
15 > officially ask Gentoo developers and users for help. I think it's
16 > impossible to solve most of the bugs reported so far in the current
17 > program design. Therefore, I'd like to rewrite it in a more flexible
18 > manner.
19 >
20 > For this reason, I would like to ask you to provide me with
21 > different /boot layouts you may have, had or seen. Basically, the idea
22 > is to collect as many different layouts as necessary, and use that to
23 > design eclean-kernel in a way making it possible to easily configure it
24 > to handle proper variant -- or even possibly make it capable of
25 > autoconfiguration.
26 >
27 > So if you have some time, please reply to this thread with
28 > a specific /boot layout that you think needs to be handled, with
29 > as much helpful information as possible -- including possible
30 > distinctive features and pitfalls.
31 >
32 > Thanks in advance.
35 https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/
36
37 ${MACHINE_ID} is the contents of /etc/machine-id
38
39 Boot loader config:
40 /boot/loader/entries/${MACHINE_ID}-${KV}.conf
41
42 Kernel, initramfs, etc.:
43 /boot/${MACHINE_ID}/${KV}/linux
44 /boot/${MACHINE_ID}/${KV}/initrd
45 /boot/${MACHINE_ID}/${KV}/config
46 /boot/${MACHINE_ID}/${KV}/System.map
47
48 Can be generated by kernel-install(8) (part of systemd).
51 Jonathan Callen