From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:57:16
1 Patrick Lauer posted on Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:44:38 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 04/04/10 03:48, Joshua Saddler wrote:
4 >> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:16:32 +0200
5 >> Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> - Our formerly outstanding documentation still is somewhat maintained,
8 >>> but that's it. I haven't seen any new additions (both to our docs, but
9 >>> also to our docs-team) for years. People are constantly asking for a
10 >>> documentation wiki, but ...
11 >>
12 >> Thanks for sh**ting on my efforts. There are lots of visible changes,
13 >> and I make a point of getting the word out when a new guide turns up in
14 >> /doc/.
15
16 >> Oh yes, and I spend hours each week constantly updating docs based on
17 >> the inflow of bugs, forum reports, and I constantly re-read each one
18 >> and improve stuff where I can on-the-fly.
19
20 > See, that's the problem.
21 > *You* are doing a good job. *We* as a team/community/ant colony aren't.
22 >
23 > The visible rate of change has slowed down, and from your reply I get
24 > the feeling that there are also fewer people working on docs than in the
25 > past. So how do we improve the situation? What needs to be done so that
26 > you could disappear for a month or two without affecting progress
27 > because there are enough other motivated people sharing the workload?
28 >
29 > My long-term goal is still to make me redundant. That way I can take a
30 > break whenever I get frustrated and I can focus on new things whenever I
31 > find something new and shiny to attract my attention...
32
33 Patrick's right, Nightmorph. I believe pretty much everyone here will
34 agree that you carry a pretty heavy load, almost a super-human load for
35 one person. But I've noticed in replies before as well as this one, you
36 do seem to be getting burned out. Which is only to be expected given that
37 you ARE handling docs pretty much by yourself a lot of the time.
38
39 And I know you've asked for help, and didn't get it, a couple times as
40 well. So you solder on... more and more frustrated and burnt out, but
41 afraid to stop, because after all, all of Gentoo's depending on you, and
42 it /does/ feel good to have users say how well things went, using the docs
43 you've been maintaining... but you're still burning out.
44
45 The same thing more or less happened to Jakob. There were similar signs
46 of stress, but Gentoo /was/ relying on him, and all the work he did bug-
47 wrangling. Then one day he pretty much dropped off the face of the
48 earth... or so it seemed.
49
50 It shouldn't have to be that way. You do a great job; a super-human job
51 for one person. But you ARE just one person and unfortunately you AREN'T
52 superhuman! It's catching up with you, and I know I'm not the only one
53 concerned about it. It's unhealthy for both you and Gentoo.
54
55 So don't take this the wrong way and drive off the folks trying to help.
56 Maybe, just maybe, this time you'll some of the help you asked for a year
57 or whatever it was ago.
58
59 Meanwhile, some of us really /do/ appreciate all you've done to hold down
60 the fort, so to speak. I'm sure I don't know the half of it when I say
61 it's not been easy, and that I (and apparently others here) /do/
62 appreciate and recognized the almost super-human job you've been doing,
63 unfortunately, all too often pretty much single handedly.
68 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman