From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 06:42:30
1 On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 09:59, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I'm a bit concerned that the future of linux on the desktop is going to be
3 > one where your choices are things like Android, ChromeOS, Ubuntu, Gnome OS,
4 > or a "KDE OS."  Each one would have its own package managers, repositories,
5 > distros, APIs, etc.  Clearly there is some benefit from the vertical
6 > integration (Android and ChromeOS have a very high level of polish, and
7 > Ubuntu is approaching this often by just writing their own stuff).  Instead
8 > of working to influence other projects (which can be frustrating), big
9 > distros are looking to just eliminate dependencies outside of themselves.
10 > This will be a big challenge for a smaller distro like Gentoo.  Obviously we
11 > can't just go write our own Wayland replacement, even if we did essentially
12 > make our own "systemd" of sorts.
13
14 you're aware the ChromeOS is built on top of / with Gentoo right ?
15 -mike