From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ironing out release tarballs
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 20:58:05
1 On 10/15/2015 01:45 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 >> What's probably desired is to create a stage3 profile which adds
4 >> whatever extra stuff you want to @system, and to use the stage3 profile
5 >> for to build stage3. After the stage3 is built, catalyst could set some
6 >> other profile if we don't want users to have the stage3 profile by default.
7 >
8 > Unless we seed @selected with the extra stuff, it will get removed the
9 > first time the user runs --depclean, which probably isn't what we
10 > want.
11 >
12 > I'm fine with going the multi-profile route, but it seems to me that
13 > we still need some kind of initial @selected set.
14 >
15 > Basically the goal here is to give the user a bunch of useful stuff by
16 > default (specified in some way in the profile), but make it easy for
17 > the user to remove it if they wish.
18 >
19 > A side goal is to do this without adding 14 more profiles, because we
20 > don't have mixins.
23 Given the goals, having catalyst seed /var/lib/portage/world seems
24 pretty reasonable to me.
25 --
26 Thanks,
27 Zac