From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/freetype: freetype-2.4.11-r1.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:27:42
1 On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:14:38 +0100
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/27/2013 06:58 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> The other thing is:
7 > >> We still have the conflict with eclass-solution vs PM-solution
8 > >> (multilib-portage) and I propose not to convert ANYTHING else until
9 > >> that conflict is solved, even if it means a council vote (that's
10 > >> what I actually think makes sense here).
11 > >> I understand both sides and somehow find it appealing to have a
12 > >> quicker solution, but since this could damage years of work on a
13 > >> portage fork I think we should slow down here.
14 > >
15 > > except there _has_ been a discussion:
16 > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/80330
17 > >
18 > > where, at least for me, it appeared that the eclass solution was the
19 > > right way and portage-multilib had its defects that could not be
20 > > solved without such an eclass solution.
21 >
22 > I don't even know multilib-portage (think is this way around) that
23 > detailed myself, but Tommy[D] claims that some of those problems will
24 > be solved in EAPI=6 and that he is willing to work on the spec.
25
26 What are the problems exactly? I'm likely misinformed, but to me it
27 seemed there is nothing EAPI-related there. What kind of spec (read:
28 pms diff) do we need?
29
30 > The reason I bring this up again is that there was a strong argument
31 > yesterday in #gentoo-dev, so it seems the situation is NOT clear.
32
33 What are these arguments ? The IRC conspiracy is hard to follow :)
34
35 > > Long story short: portage-multilib does not handle deps needing
36 > > multilib and deps not needing them. Only packages maintainers know
37 > > that, you cannot guess it at the PM level. Doing unpack twice, while
38 > > bearable, is also suboptimal. portage-multilib already disables its
39 > > multilib support for multilib-enabled packages, thus there is not
40 > > even a conflict there.
43 > It still does not make sense to work in two different directions,
44 > imo. I was supporting the eclass idea myself by proposing
45 > autotools-multilib-minimal.eclass, but I think this should be voted
46 > on, so we don't duplicate work.
47
48 Again, without a summary of pros and cons and an old discussion that
49 died leaving the eclass solution as a winner, it is a bit harsh to ask
50 for a vote.
51
52 I like to see multilib-portage as the temporary, available today,
53 solution and eclass based stuff as the long term and clean solution.
54
55 Alexis.