From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 09:12:26
1 On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:36:09 PM CEST, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > As for those benefits, they do little for {/usr,}/sbin vs
3 > {/usr,}/bin, which is where the incompatibilities tend to live.
4 > I encountered one of these in powertop the other day (patch
5 > pending). The benefits of being able to access things from both
6 > places are somewhat exaggerated given that compatibility among
7 > systems has long required searching $PATH and likely always
8 > will.
9
10 PATH is a shell thing; some libc functions like execvp duplicate this
11 functionality but that's all; you dont have PATH in shebangs nor in execv.
12
13 >> Note, we are not
14 >> talking about squashing /usr out of the equasion, but merging /bin,
15 >> /sbin and /lib* into their counterparts in /usr and creating symlinks in
16 >> the root directory pointing to the counterparts in /usr.
17 >
18 > While one guy did the reverse (and the reverse ought to be okay
19 > for those that want to do that), no one appears to think that
20 > adopting the reverse is what is being suggested. Having this
21 > sort of clarity on whether forcing this on everyone via
22 > baselayout update, just providing the option for those who want
23 > it or some combination of the two (e.g. a long transition period
24 > in which both are supported) is being discussed would be nice
25 > though. This is not a Boolean decision.
26
27 I've been under the impression since the beginning of the thread that it is
28 what is being proposed: make it possible but support both. We can't force
29 usr-merge without battle testing the migration process anyway, which means
30 there needs to be such a long transition period.
33 Alexis.