From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SLOT-OPERATOR-DEPS (Was: PMS EAPI 3 more or less ready)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:04:14
1 On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:48:08 +0300
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > > The best installed version that matches the spec is always picked
4 > > for :=. We originally considered making this more complicated, or
5 > > possibly making ways of saying "all installed slots", but neither
6 > > appears to have a legitimate use case. The latter in particular
7 > > would only encourage abuse (people might mistakenly think it's a
8 > > solution to the Python / Ruby ABIs thing).
9 >
10 > I don't think that really works in all cases, e.g in combination with
11 > PDEPEND or such.
12
13 It works in all cases where you're guaranteed to know at build time
14 what versions are there -- that is to say, it works for things that are
15 listed both in DEPEND and in RDEPEND.
16
17 > So to make this easy for everybody in the future, do you perhaps have
18 > a concrete ebuild code example that shows how exactly to do it in an
19 > ebuild pkg_setup or src_configure exactly?
20
21 Most things that are affected by this will just work automatically.
22
23 > My main open issue with SLOT-OPERATOR-DEPS is about the :* syntax, and
24 > specifically how that potentially works un-intuituvely with some
25 > future syntax regarding list of slots. The feature concept itself
26 > seems sound and reasonable, but I think we might be able to do better
27 > with the syntax for the long run when slot lists come into play.
28
29 It fits in fine with the syntax we've been thinking of using for slot
30 groups and version ranges.
33 Ciaran McCreesh