From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] grub-2 configuration
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 03:34:35
1 I broke the thread, because grub-2 configuration is an interesting
2 topic, but I think it deserves a separate thread from the removal of
3 grub-0 discussion.
4
5 On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 03:57:25PM +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
6 > On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:22:12 -0400
7 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 > > How do you generate your grub-0 config files?
10 >
11 > I didn't, it came as a stock example file with comments which I edited
12 > in a minimal fashion until it worked.
15 > > You can just use the same method to generate the grub-2 ones...
16 >
17 > No, I regenerated it with mkconfig, replacing the file.
18 >
19 > The new file has a whole lot of stuff I don't understand, and direct
20 > editing of it terrifies me to an extent because there's no clear
21 > explanation of what half of it does.
22 > Hence, my exposition.
23 >
24 > I am thus mostly just relying on mkconfig now and crossing my fingers.
25
26 That's what I've been doing, and it works pretty well.
27
28 I can tell you a bit of how it works. It uses the settings in
29 /etc/default/grub along with the templates in /etc/grub.d to generate
30 grub.cfg. You can tweak a lot of what gets generated by tweaking the
31 settings in /etc/default/grub.
32
33 You don't have to use grub-mkconfig. You can write /boot/grub/grub.cfg
34 by hand if you want, and it appears that the syntax is documented in the
35 grub info pages.
36
37 William