From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing VIDEO_CARDS=iris to virtual/opencl
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:26:06
1 Penny for your thoughts, guys: I am thinking about splitting the
2 video_cards_i965 condition in virtual/opencl so that NEO is pulled in by
3 video_cards_iris instead, and I wonder if there is anything I haven't
4 thought about.
5
6 The reason why I would like to do this is that there is clear
7 correspondence between compatibility matrices of the Iris OpenGL driver
8 and the NEO OpenCL driver - both only work on Broadwell and newer. There
9 are differences of course, most notably that the old OpenCL driver
10 (Beignet) is already considered deprecated for systems supported by NEO
11 whereas the old OpenGL driver in Mesa (i965) is still the official one
12 even for newer systems.
13
14 Nb. to the best of my knowledge it is safe to set VIDEO_CARDS=iris even
15 globally because if both i965 and iris are available, Mesa for now still
16 prefers the former unless the environment variable
17 MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE has been set to 'iris'.
18
19 There would of course have to be a news item advising the users of
20 virtual/opencl + dev-libs/intel-neo to adjust their USE flags.
21
22 What do you think, guys?
25 Marecki