From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage locations
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:50:32
On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 07:22:15PM +0200, Francesco Riosa wrote:
> everything about portage is very specific and should be separated, I > would like to see an addition of one root directory "gentoo" where > ${PKGMANAGER} keep all it's stuff. > Some of these are already moveable with ${*DIR} variables in > make.conf, others are not
I don't agree that we should create a "gentoo" root directory; however, to be technical, /usr/portage is wrong. I will list what My thoughts would be below your suggestions. Keep in mind that this is just being thrown out there without thinking about the details all that much.
> 20K /gentoo/tmp
Maybe /tmp?
> 20K /gentoo/overlays
This isn't on everyones system, so I think it is up to the user and what you are putting in it. Maybe /var/cache/portage/overlays?
> 639M /gentoo/portage
/var/cache/portage/gentoo-portage
> 3.1G /gentoo/distfiles
/var/cache/portage/distfiles?
> 4.1M /gentoo/var/log
/var/log/portage? They are logs so they should go where all other logs are.
> 36K /gentoo/var/lib/portage
/var/lib/portage is ok for this I think.
> 43M /gentoo/var/db/pkg
/var/db/pkg is fine for this I think.
> 940K /gentoo/var/cache/edb
Maybe /var/cache/portage/edb?
> 2.7M /gentoo/packages
/var/cache/portage/packages? What do you think? William