From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:27:58
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i think you're merging the two issues you brought up ... there is binary ABI > issues (which should not require a new DEPEND variable as portage can extract > that information out at runtime) and there is runtime plugin issues with > packages using dlopen() (which portage cannot extract as the dependency > cannot ever be extracted) >
Okay, maybe I hijacked BINCOMPAT purpose. As I said in a previous reply, my original message was about runtime compatibility, not compilation compatibility. I want to be able to save in a package metadata that it was build using some version (as in compatibility version, not necessarily PV) of another package and I want emerge to automatically rebuild my package whenever this version is changed.