From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:08:51
1 On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:43:53PM +0000, Thomas Flavel wrote:
2 > > 1.0_rc4-pre2 is fully compatible with all modern Intel and Intel-compatible
3 > > processors, from the i486 on up. While 1.0_rc4-pre2 is optimized for the
4 > > 486, Achim plans to build several different versions of 1.0_rc4 optimized for
5 > > various processors. 1.0_rc4-pre2 has been tested on K6 systems and works
6 >
7 > I don't understand why not a 386? I kind of expected the distcd to be 386
8 > binaries, and then to compile and install optimised to whatever my processor
9 > happens to be? What am I mis-understanding? ;)
10 >
11 > How would gentoo be installed on a 386?
12
13 Very slowly. 386's and bzip2-compressed packages don't exactly get along :)
14 If there's a need, we can create a 386-compatible build.
15
16 > Excellent. Roughly what size is minimum now?
17
18 Do you mean the minimum HD space needed for installation? I'd guess about 400Mb
19 of HD space. We haven't specifically attempted to "squeeze" the base install
20 into a minimum of space. If we did, we could probably get it to live in around
21 250Mb, maybe less. If we started recompiling packages and linking them to a tiny
22 libc, we might be able to get this down to <100Mb :) But, since we're all power
23 users, this isn't something that we're focusing on right now.
24
25 Best Regards,
28 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
29 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org