From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: AW: [gentoo-dev] Selection for KDE base-packages
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:54:57
1 On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:04:35PM +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
2 : Den 24 Aug 2001 11:04:59 +0200 skrev Sebastian Werner:
3 : > The root makefile contains a variable TOPSUBDIRS which select the
4 : > subdirs to build and install.
5 : > We could patch this file to delete some entries in this variable.
6 : >
7 : > I mean that i don't want to use three editors for example. I need
8 : > only one editor in KDE: kate
9 : > So i wouldn't install kedit for example
10 :
11 : What about the people that _do_ want kedit and not kate?
12 : I would like some pre-build configuration stuff. With a question to the
13 : user, do you want to configure this package before building it? It would
14 : make the Portage tree more flexible than just using USE-variables. I'm
15 : not sure if this fits into the Portage system though.
16 :
17 : But in this case it would be something like:
18 :
19 : Do you want to configure KDE-base [y/N]: Y
20 : Which editor would you like: [Kate/kedit/all]: <enter>
21 : ...
22 : Installing KDE-base with the following programs:
23 : Editor: Kate
24 : ...
25 : Is this correct [Y/n]: <enter>
26 : Start installing..
27 :
28 : We could have some kind of timeout on the first question so that if you
29 : do an automatic build it wouldn't stop at the question if you are not at
30 : the computer.
31 :
32 : What do you think, drobbins?
33
34 I think that this goes against the current vision of the portage system.
35 Currently, a portage should build w/out *any* user interaction. There
36 are still some bugs to get worked out, but I think that's still where
37 we're heading. Keep in mind, I'm not speaking for Dan, just relating
38 things as I understand them.
39
40 That being said, I want to once again point out that the portage system
41 does allow one to have a /usr/portage/local directory. Have you thought
42 about configuring the ebuild to meet your specific needs and sticking it
43 in there?
44
45 --Jerry
46
47 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
48 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
49 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
50 || than that!