From: Stuart Bouyer <stubear@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CJK testing
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 16:54:08
1 On 月, 2002-07-29 at 01:59, Thomas Beaudry wrote:
2 > >>the packages are
3 > >>
4 > >>net-mail/mutt-1.4-r2.ebuild
5 > >>dev-db/postgresql-7.2.1-r2.ebuild
6 > >
7 > >I'm already changed the postgresql ebuild like you did
8 > >and I used "--enable-multibyte" for some time. It works.
9 > >You ebuild compiles well.
10 > > The only problem I see is the name "CJK".
11 > >I use unicode for other languages, for example in order to have in the
12 > >same database latin1 and latin2. Is difficult to guess for an
13 > >east-european user that it should use "CJK" for it's language.
14 > >I would prefer if the use flag should be called in a more general way.
15 > > (unicode)
16 > >
17 > >Marko
18 >
19 > I'm with Marko. The use flag should be unicode. More accurate
20 > description of what it's for even if people are only using it for
21 > CJK support at the moment.
24 The reason that CJK was chosen was that untill postgresql, I have only
25 ever seen --enable-multibyte used for adding Asian font capabilities. It
26 wasn't till this response that I was even aware that postgresql used it
27 to add support for unicode (and others as well). I'll have to look at
28 this issue in more depth because on occasion adding Asian support
29 sometimes kills Russian or Greek support. May have to add an additional
30 flag.
31
32 Unicode in this case is better, but not actually more accurate as
33 unicode is just 1 of many encodings that postgresql activate with
34 --enable-multibyte. multibyte or i18n might be more appropriate?
38 > MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
39 > http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
42 > gentoo-dev mailing list
43 > gentoo-dev@g.o