From: William McArthur <sandymac@g.o>
To: Jim Michael <jim.michael@××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo and IBM Websphere Kits
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:35:12
1 Oops, I accidently just replied the following to Jim:
2
3 > Jim,
4 > It probably will. I'm downloading WebSphere App Server 4 right now and
5 > will give it a go. Provided it works and they don't do anything stupid
6 > like require an X server during the install I'll probably make an
7 > ebuild for it. Even if I don't write an ebuild for it I'll let you
8 > know what I find.
9
10 The WebSphere App Server 4 install does need an X server and during the
11 install I get an execption with the following message:
12
13 java.lang.NumberFormatException: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
14 [...]
15 at PrereqChecker.getUnixDiskSpace(PrereqChecker.java:632)
16 [...]
17
18 This appears to be a problem in that the du program will split long
19 lines so that what IBM is expecting on one line is on two. du has a -P
20 switch which prevents this and I'll bet that if you renamed /bin/du to
21 /bin/du.orig and made a shell script that was:
22
23 #!/bin/bash
24 du -P $*
25
26 and saved to to /bin/du it would work, but right now I need to run some
27 errands.
28
29 Jim Michael wrote:
30 > I have two questions.
31 >
32 > 1. I would like to use IBM's Websphere, kits they offer at
33 > developerWorks.
34 > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/linux-speed-start/?tab=webservices/index
35 >
36 > IBM recommends Red Hat or SuSE. I haven't installed Gentoo yet but am
37 > very interested to use Gentoo since I have a OpenBSD and Python background.
38 >
39 > Does anyone know it I can run the IBM's Websphere kits on Gentoo rather
40 > than Red Hat or SuSe? Is there something inherently different in Red
41 > Hat or SuSe that I need to use one of those distros
44 > 2. Can you install Gentoo booting from a floppy rather than a CD. My
45 > machine won't boot from a CD. ( I read the install information but did
46 > not find an answer. Sorry if I overlooked it.)
49 > Thanks for answering my questions.
50 >
51 > Jim Michael