From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for items for September 13 council meeting
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:26:11
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 08:47 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote: >> On 14:06 Fri 16 Sep     , Zac Medico wrote: >>> Bumping the EAPI of the root profiles/eapi file would be a different >>> matter, since it applies to the whole repository. If you want to >>> version bump that repository-level EAPI, then you need to wait until >>> at least 6 months after supporting package managers have been >>> available in stable. >> >> So in your opinion, it would be fine to bump profiles/eapi to EAPI=4 >> now? > > Yes, it's feasible. As a consequence, we may get some complaints from > users who haven't upgraded during the last six months.
I don't see any features in EAPI 3 and 4 that are useful for the profiles. However, a bump to EAPI 2 (or at least 1) would be *extremely* beneficial, and cause much less chaos. Speaking with my GNOME hat, it will be *extremely* useful for slot-masking GNOME packages. -- ~Nirbheek Chauhan Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team