From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:39:29
1 On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I think putting more pressure so systemd isn't given as granted would be
4 > more healthy for both those who are not using it (because, again, is an
5 > aberration for any kind of daemon not written for it) and those that want to
6 > use it (since maybe as desktop-only it might have some nice integrations).
9 I'm not sure I've seen anybody talk of it being a given (ie no other
10 configuration is supported). If many devs want openrc to stick around
11 indefinitely I'm sure it will remain supported.
14 > Probably just adding the dbus interfaces and thinning it down might be
15 > something useful if that integration might have use-cases.
18 I would think the intent would be to stay close to upstream as is usually
19 the case with Gentoo. If they have integrations with 14 things than we
20 should, and that shouldn't be horribly difficult since all the upstream
21 projects would support them. That said, there is wisdom in only tackling a
22 few things at a time and having 2 working integrations might be more useful
23 than 47 non-working ones.
24
25 Is there something in particular that is causing alarm with systemd? All
26 I've seen is a package in the tree and some discussion. I'm sure there will
27 be requests for various packages to install some files needed for
28 integrations/etc. If anything is traumatic I'd be specific in stating
29 concerns so that the root cause can be addressed.
30
31 Rich