From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Forbid using versions in DESCRIPTION
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:37:11
1 On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:18:46 +0200
2 Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh schrieb:
4 > > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:44:52 +0200
5 > > "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Perhaps we should just move DESCRIPTIONs to metadata. That would
7 > >> make it impossible to use ${PV} and more importantly also remove
8 > >> some duplication.
9 > >
10 > > Got to be careful here. In the past it's been stated that Portage
11 > > won't use XML for anything that it has to parse.
12 >
13 > Well, if/when DESCRIPTION is moved to metadata, this must be changed.
14
15 The intention was to stick with things that could be parsed quickly and
16 easily, without relying upon slow library code. Whether that's still an
17 issue these days what with the Portage people who were saying that the
18 loudest not being around any more is up for debate...
19
20 Although, at the other end of the scale, Daniel claims that he wanted
21 to move all ebuild metadata into metadata.xml...
22
23 > Unless we change the metadata format as well (to yaml for example :-)
24
25 The only specification-compliant yaml parser is written in C, has
26 only the bottom two layers of the stack and no usable external
27 bindings... Perhaps you mean "something that's basically yaml except
28 with reserved string-start characters not handled correctly", in which
29 case there's Syck...
32 Ciaran McCreesh