From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS (Was: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:57:41
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 31 May 2008 01:13:58 +0200
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I know exactly which standard -ffast-math violates (IEEE/ISO floating
5 >> point spec) and how (the man page is quite complete about this),
6 >> --as-needed doesn't have any warning about this, there isn't any
7 >> standard that it violates since it's the default behavior at least
8 >> for 2 platform (one from those who wrote most of the ELF spec...).
9 >> Point the spec, and the paragraph violated.
10 >
11 > ISO/IEC 14882:1998 section 3.7.1 paragraph 2.
14 "If an object of static storage duration has initialization or a
15 destructor with side effects, it shall not be eliminated even if
16 it appears to be unused, except that a class object or its copy
17 may be eliminated as specified in 12.8."
18
19 Unchanged in the 2003 revision.
20
21 Is that related to linking? I don't think so. Still, PE and ELF are
22 older than the first C++ spec so, IFF your reading of this chapter is
23 correct, C++ is broken by design.
24
25 lu
29 Luca Barbato