From: Benjamin Podszun <ben@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Performance once again..
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:10:46
1 Hi there.
2 I switched to Gentoo on two of my servers recently. Before that I used
3 Debian stable with a 2.4.18-Kernel.
4 Right now the machines are nearly useless. They should serve lots of
5 pages, but every ~24h everything freezes without any load on the
6 machines.. The load drops to 0.01 and nothing is delivered.
7 Only a restart of apache resets this timeframe again.
8 Well, after searching for a solution for about 3-4 days I'm already in
9 the mood to wipe Gentoo, install Debian again and stay with Gentoo for
10 Desktop only..
11 If anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to give them a try, but I
12 cannot afford to have two systems down on a regular basis for more than
13 2-3 days..
14
15 I installed 1.4, used the 2.4.20 vanilla-kernel and I installed nothing
16 special but exim and apache/php.
17 All of them use the most current ebuilds in the x86 portage-tree.
18 I wonder if this is related to the problems someone pointed out with the
19 select() performance? But it would be a vanilla-problem then?
20
21 TIA for any suggestions,
22 Ben