From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: seeds, GLEPs, and projects
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:33:08
1 On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 21:43 +0000, Peter wrote:
2 > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:01:02 -0400, Mike Pagano wrote:
3 <snip>
4
5 Since you mentioned my name in your e-mail I figured I had something to
6 do with the delay on your becoming a developer, however, having
7 consulted bugzilla I find that this is not the case. Rather the
8 opposite, you requested that your bug be closed, which I presume means
9 that you decided you no longer had a wish to become a Gentoo developer.
10
11 It is no secret however that the recruiters were struggling to keep up,
12 and still are to some extent, despite having recruited more recruiters
13 (my, that was a awkward sentence). As for delays, I can only speak for
14 those recruits assigned to myself, and there's no great time delays for
15 either of them. I generally opt for about a month from I pick them up
16 until I expect them to be ready to interview and discuss their quizzes.
17 I currently am awaiting quizzes from a couple, and have a couple of
18 others who are marked and held up only by me waiting for them to get
19 back to me with a suitable time for us to sit down and go through their
20 quizzes in more of an informal interview style. My new recruits I
21 believe are happy, or atleast it would appear so from our talks
22 throughout their first months of devship.
23
24 On occasion it may be difficult to arrange a time to sit down together,
25 be it due to time zone differences or trying to fit it in to both the
26 recruit and the recruiters otherwise busy schedule. As I am sure you've
27 heard many a time already, we all volunteer our time for Gentoo, and we
28 all work on other projects besides recruitment. This means that we can't
29 necessarily walk out of anything else we may be doing to sit down with
30 someone as and when they request it. Not only is availability affected
31 by other Gentoo projects, but also factors such as work, husbands,
32 wives, children, other hobbies and commitments taking up varying amounts
33 of time. I know I am having a tremendously busy time at the moment as I
34 am in the process of moving, changing careers, spending a lot of time on
35 one of my other projects due to the unexpected death of one of my
36 colleagues and friends. And sure, in my case this means that instead of
37 being able to tell a recruit that we can chat in ten minutes I may ask
38 them that we talk in two days time at $rand o' clock, but this has not
39 been a problem so far.
40
41 I guess, another factor is attitude, Gentoo doesn't pay enough for us to
42 sit around and take abuse, wait, it doesn't pay at all.. and so we are
43 less likely to expedite the process for someone who comes across as rude
44 and demanding. Generally speaking, I would spend more time with someone
45 who asked rather than demanded. And someone who discussed rather than
46 threw tantrums.
47
48 Again, there's nothing stopping anyone from contributing while they are
49 waiting, you don't need a @gentoo.org e-mail address to fix bugs, and
50 for the most part the mentors are more than happy to proxy stuff on
51 their recruits behalf while they are waiting.
52
53 Anyhow, it's 2.30am, I was looking over quizzes and then I shall head to
54 bed.
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list