From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] EAPI 6 draft for review
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:25:28
1 On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 06:00:15 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 > >
5 > > First, eclasses shouldn't apply patches on their own but take what
6 > > the ebuild tells it to apply: With multiple eclasses applying random
7 > > patches on their own, you're already asking for trouble.
8 > > Then, ebuild can just send all its patches through the first eclass,
9 > > which will call the real eaplly_user.
10 > >
11 > > Sure, there can be imaginary cases where this would horribly break
12 > > or not be so convenient, but do we have a real example ?
13 >
14 > That is a fair point. I think there are other problems with eclasses
15 > exporting phase functions which are far more likely to cause issues
16 > than patching at the wrong spot.
17
18 Probably, indeed.
19
20 > I guess the question is whether I/we/whoever is turning eapply_user
21 > into a big issue more to force the general move away from exporting
22 > phase functions than because it is a big issue on its own. I do think
23 > that is the direction we ought to be moving in, but I would agree that
24 > we shouldn't be using eapply_user as a club to try to force people to
25 > move that way. If we want to discourage eclass phase function
26 > exporting, we should just do that on its own merits.
27
28 Heh, going OT, I guess I'd be on the other side: kill the
29 autotools-centric default phases and move everything to eclasses'
30 exported functions :)
31 (or make default phases much more friendly to non-autotools build
32 systems, but that'd likely double pms size with useless considerations)
35 > So, perhaps it is a fair question to ask what is the specific harm
36 > from allowing it to be a no-op on subsequent calls, other than
37 > encouraging a coding practice that could possibly have other unrelated
38 > effects?
39
40 Yep; I can't see any real harm, but this is probably based on a limited
41 view of the big picture.
42 However, I do think the practice should be discouraged, but 'let be' in
43 specific cases like for eclasses co-existence. Actually, just like any
44 other (non breaking) QA issue is handled I think.