From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do I really need the tree?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:40:34
1 On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 02:53, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > > Why does everyone always say "like games" anyway? Games are
3 > > essential, man. KDE and Gnome are cruft... ;p
4 >
5 > Well for servers games are even less usefull than kde/gnome, allthough
6 > both of them don't have a place on most servers either.
7
8 Except for servers servicing items from games-server... :]
9
10 Anyway, for now it is much simpler to have a tree of ebuilds which are
11 easily maintainable than a single (or a few) large xml files which would
12 become a maintenance nightmare for all the developers involved.
13 Currently there are many developers who work on only one ebuild in a
14 particular area. As a good example, I maintain exactly one ebuild in
15 app-emulation. What kind of separation would there be for the xml
16 files? How would different versions be accommodated? Unless there was
17 some "magic" which translated the text ebuilds/eclasses/profiles into
18 xml (or a db, or whatever) before it went out to the world, and which
19 *didn't screw up* in the process, I don't think we'd see much of a
20 change any time soon. Not to mention the amount of work that would need
21 to be done to portage itself to modify it to parse xml. I know that
22 this sort of thing has been discussed before, and if memory serves me
23 correctly, the reason for not doing so was not so much it being a bad
24 idea or anything but really a matter of developer resources and
25 energies. There's really nothing wrong with the current approach that
26 would be helped by having the portage tree be in xml or a database, at
27 least, not anything worth spending the tremendous amount of resources on
28 that it would take. Personally, I would rather spend my time fixing
29 bugs and adding new features to portage, not redoing all of the work I
30 have done up until now to make it xml compliant.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Developer, Gentoo Linux
35 Games Team
36