From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting 19 April 2010
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:30:45
1 On 04/07/2010 11:00 AM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 >> 5. centralize developer documentation
3 >> =====================================
4 >
5 > This is an interesting idea which I believe I have seen discussed on
6 > irc at some point. Feel free to work on a GLEP to address that.
9 To be honest, this doesn't even need a GLEP so much as a website or
10 something. If somebody consolidated all this stuff into a reasonable
11 format, I bet that half the devs would pitch in and make their
12 contributions. The only thing that might warrant a GLEP is a policy
13 decision that all development policies must be documented or linked from
14 that site to be binding, or something like that.
15
16 I don't think that for the council to make a policy decision that there
17 needs to be a GLEP. Sure, it is the best way to make big changes, or
18 changes that require some level of formality. However, the council can
19 still show leadership in affirming their agreement on issues even if it
20 isn't a formal affair. I'm sure every other town government in the
21 Western World has taken a vote in support of their troops or something
22 like that without going through the official lawmaking process and all
23 that - it is just a gesture.
24
25 I don't have the time to create such a website although I would agree
26 that it is sorely needed. Hence, I will try to be careful in throwing
27 around criticism - it is much easier to bring problems to the table than
28 solutions...
29
30 Rich