From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting 19 April 2010
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:30:45
On 04/07/2010 11:00 AM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
>> 5. centralize developer documentation >> ===================================== > > This is an interesting idea which I believe I have seen discussed on > irc at some point. Feel free to work on a GLEP to address that. >
To be honest, this doesn't even need a GLEP so much as a website or something. If somebody consolidated all this stuff into a reasonable format, I bet that half the devs would pitch in and make their contributions. The only thing that might warrant a GLEP is a policy decision that all development policies must be documented or linked from that site to be binding, or something like that. I don't think that for the council to make a policy decision that there needs to be a GLEP. Sure, it is the best way to make big changes, or changes that require some level of formality. However, the council can still show leadership in affirming their agreement on issues even if it isn't a formal affair. I'm sure every other town government in the Western World has taken a vote in support of their troops or something like that without going through the official lawmaking process and all that - it is just a gesture. I don't have the time to create such a website although I would agree that it is sorely needed. Hence, I will try to be careful in throwing around criticism - it is much easier to bring problems to the table than solutions... Rich