From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ironing out release tarballs
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:48:18
1 On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/15/2015 02:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Given the goals, having catalyst seed /var/lib/portage/world seems
5 >>> pretty reasonable to me.
6 >>
7 >> Then the question becomes how. Does it diff @profile between the two
8 >> profiles and put the extra stuff in @selected? Or, does the profile
9 >> just contain a special file containing the stuff that gets seeded?
10 >> That is really the gist of the two approaches, and if you just have a
11 >> special file full of stuff that gets seeded you really don't need
12 >> another profile, which is nice since profiles are a PITA right now.
15 > We already have packages.build which is used to build stage1, so
16 > introducing a packages.stage3 that's used to seed @selected (aka
17 > /var/lib/portage/world) for stage3 seems reasonable.
18
19 Seems reasonable to me, and the nice thing is that it doesn't change
20 the behavior of anything at all besides catalyst, so other than
21 starting out with a non-empty /var/lib/portage/world users won't see a
22 thing happen.
23
24 I won't bikeshed on the name of the file. Whatever seems reasonable
25 to the catalyst team works fine for me.
26
27 This then conserves @profile for stuff that is more essential to the
28 profile itself, such as a fancy firmware loader for an arm box or
29 whatever (in our future luxury world where we can spare new profiles
30 for specific boards and such). Of course, it wouldn't hurt to
31 standardize on how such sets work if we're going to start using them
32 seriously if that isn't in PMS. However, I see all of that as
33 off-topic for the present discussion other than the desire to not
34 interfere with it.
37 Rich