From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 18:39:30
1 On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:06:51 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > "You need to know the EAPI to parse the ebuild to find the EAPI"
4 > Obviously that's not true, because somehow we manage at the moment.
5 > And if one does a small restriction (which doesn't restrict current
6 > behaviour because all in-tree ebuilds currently fit within this
7 > limitation) it becomes trivial again:
8 >
9 > Let EAPI be defined as (the part behind the = of) the first line of
10 > the ebuild starting with EAPI=
11
12 Uh, so horribly utterly and obviously wrong.
13
14 inherit foo
15 EAPI=4
16
17 where foo is both a global and a non-global eclass that sets metadata.
18
19 If you're looking for a formally correct alternative that works in the
20 way you suggest, I already provided one, and you already read about it
21 -- and it still doesn't solve the problems that 55 does.
22
23 > "It's slower!"
24 > The theory here being that a stat() is needed if it is encoded in the
25 > filename, but a stat() followed by an open() to parse it from the
26 > file. Well then, just cache it! You can use the mtime to check the
27 > cache validity (which means you do a stat() anyway, so with glep55
28 > caching it is actually slower!), and then you have to parse the
29 > ebuild anyway for the other metadata. So the "extra" cost of finding
30 > the EAPI is ... what extra cost? The only case when it is actually
31 > slower is when there is no cache because then you have to parse the
32 > ebuild. But that "degenerate" case will only hit some overlay users
33 > and people like developers that can wait .3 seconds longer. And ...
34 > uhm ... to extract other metadata like DEPENDS you'll have to parse
35 > it anyway.
36
37 Where on earth are you getting the idea that GLEP 55 makes things
38 slower? The only difference to the code with GLEP 55 is in checking
39 file extensions against a slightly larger set of strings, which is
40 nowhere near a measurable increase in anything. You're claiming that
41 checking for a suffix of either ".ebuild-4" or ".ebuild" against a
42 fixed string is in any way relevant, which is obviously trolling.
43
44 > "Having GLEP55 allows us to add GLEP54 without issues!"
45 > Yeah, uhm, the live-ness of an ebuild is an attribute. How about we
46 > add it to metadata, as we should for all metadata? Define a key, I
47 > don't know ... LIVE ? LIVE="true". There. No need to fix the
48 > filename. And now stop mixing up issues because it is highly
49 > confusing!
50
51 There is no existing version ordering solution that accurately
52 represents upstream scm branches.
53
54 > A few words in closing -
55 >
56 > We can encode all the relevant info in "the first line of the ebuild
57 > starting with EAPI="
58
59 No we can't. That's *obviously* completely wrong.
60
61 > The overhead of parsing out this value for all ebuilds in the tree
62 > has been timed at ~2 CPU-seconds by solar. It's negligible.
63
64 Those of us who have been measuring this have been discarding CPU time
65 entirely, since it's utterly irrelevant. That you bring CPU time into
66 this shows you've been deliberately ignoring everything we've said.
67
68 We all know you're not stupid enough to believe what you've been
69 posting or ignorant enough to miss the point so badly. So please stop
70 pretending -- this issue would have gone through a long time ago were
71 it not for you and your ilk deliberately pretending to be retarded so
72 you can raise straw man arguments against it rather than addressing the
73 issues at hand. You're doing both yourself and everyone else a huge
74 disfavour by acting dumb and assuming everyone else is going to play
75 along with that.
78 Ciaran McCreesh