From: Jon Ellis <ashura666@×××.com>
To: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: cvs ebuilds
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 05:17:35
1 On Friday, Dec 20, 2002, at 01:59PM, Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > From http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/policy.xml#doc_chap2 :
4 >
5 ><quote>
6 >"live" cvs.eclass ebuilds are generally only intended for the
7 >convenience of developers and should always be masked with a ~[arch]
8 >keyword. It is impossible to guarantee the reliability of a "live"
9 >cvs.eclass ebuild since the upstream cvs tree may change at any time,
10 >which is why they should always be masked.
11 ></quote>
12 >
13 >There is some more there that may be of interest to you.
14
15 Thanks.
16
17 In this particular case There are no bundles available for ardour. There are also no bundles available for the version of jack upon which ardour depends. Reading the above link this sounds like a live cvs.eclass ebuild that will remain masked for it's lifetime. (The main developer of Ardour does not want people to create bundles as the current rate of development almost immediately invalidates them.)
18
19 The alternative to checking ebuilds into portage is to maintain a seperate website where the ebuilds are downloadable. This is far from ideal as there are many packages that depend on the current cvs version of jack.
20
21 If the person responsible for media-sound would like to contact me perhaps we can work out some way to make this work.
22
23 Cheers
24
25 j.