From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:27:43
1 On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:18:04 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Not sure I'm following, but I will be the first to admit that I'm a
4 > > git novice. Would this be aided by a convention, like only
5 > > committing to master on the gentoo official repository, and any
6 > > on-the-side work on places like github/etc stays in branches?
7 > > Those repositories would just keep getting fed commits on master
8 > > from the official repository.
9 >
10 > Iagree with this; I think we should ban merge commits on master. That
11 > would force everyone to rebase their work on current master before
12 > they commit to master which would make the history clean.
13
14 So what's the point of switching to git if you want to ban the main
15 reason git exists?
18 Ciaran McCreesh