From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 15:52:42
1 On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:41:09 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 03/09/2012 07:21 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 > > The advantage that the eapi function has over a comment is that
6 > > it's not magic -- it's just normal bash syntax. So we've addressed
7 > > that issue at a small performance cost (we're really only sourcing
8 > > the ebuild up to 'exit').
9 >
10 > Also consider the case where a user syncs after not having updated
11 > for a couple of months, and the tree contains some ebuilds with EAPIs
12 > that are not supported by the currently installed package manager.
13 >
14 > In this case, when resolving dependencies and filtering ebuilds based
15 > on whether or not their EAPI is supported, spawning bash once per
16 > ebuild is much more costly than the alternatives.
17
18 isnt the whole point of the proposal to get eapi without sourcing ?
19
20 so that we can use new bash features at local or global scope without
21 risking that people with an old bash get syntax errors trying to get
22 the eapi