From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [git migration] The problem of ChangeLog generation
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:42:05
1 On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 06 April 2010 05:13:02 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 > Just a question:
4 >
5 > Why do we even need to care about ChangeLog files? Can't we just use the git
6 > commit message to generate logs? E.g run a script on server side which will
7 > read the whole git shortlog and generate a changelog every $timeframe?
10 You seem to have missed the gist of the situation. I'm quoting it here
11 again to highlight it:
12
13 * It makes zero sense to manually manage ChangeLogs in git[1]
14 [snip]
15 * Proposed is to generate ChangeLogs from git commits on the rsync
16 server side when metadata generation is done
17 - Scripts to do this already exist[1]
18 [snip]
19
20 1. http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog
21 --