From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uppercase characters in package names
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 07:52:35
1 On 12/03/2016 07:00 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Saturday, December 3, 2016 8:59:09 AM EST Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 23:26:53 -0800
4 >>
5 >> Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> On 12/02/2016 10:47 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I'd say keeping things lowercase makes sense for end user packages. For
9 >>>> pure dependencies with consistent conventions (e.g. perl), it makes
10 >>>> sense to keep upstream's naming.
11 >>>
12 >>> What is a pure dependency? Do we handle those differently than the
13 >>> garden-variety dependencies in other packages?
14 >>
15 >> It is a package that is rarely installed directly, and rather commonly
16 >> taken as a dependency of another package. For example, packages that
17 >> install no programs and just Perl/Python/... modules.
18 >
19 > Keep in mind some will emerge libraries dependencies for their own projects
20 > and development. They do not always have to be merged as a dependency of
21 > another package.
22 >
23 > It might be confusing to know when it is acceptable to use mixed case and not.
24 >
25 I think Michał was talking strictly in the case of a library being
26 pulled in as a dependency, e.g. program A is depending on library B, but
27 library B is so specialized that it doesn't really get pulled in
28 manually. When emerging program A, library B is pure. When emerging
29 library B deliberately, it becomes the target package.
30
31 (If I have this wrong please correct me, Michał. Also forgive me if the
32 glyph for the last letter in your name is wrong.)
35 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
36 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
37 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6