From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Simple question : installing packages
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:04:20
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:30:05PM +0100, Jo Bieg wrote:

> I'm just following these discussions since I'm really a newbie to linux. > However, I've got some questions you may be able to answer:
Welcome to the list :)
> 1. Checking what packages you need > > Is there a way to determine the dependency status of the whole system (check > what packages are missing). I know there's an ebuild command to check the > dependency of a single package. So do I have to write a shell script which > goes through the db and checks every single package in there?
Try: # portage-maintain It'll inform you of any critical packages that aren't installed, as well as when you have a package installed and there's a newer (recommended) version available.
> 2. (Actually not Gentoo related) Organizing data. > > Comparing Linux to Windows I realized the differences in managing data. Eg. > linux (and unix?) uses a "spread out" system collecting data of the same > type (like libraries, binaries, documentation) whereas Windows puts data > together (each program has its own directory). Is there a proper technical > term which describes these two models?
I guess the generic term is "filesystem organization". Linux is moving towards using a standard called FHS; however, most of the standards come from successful traditions of past UNIX operating systems.
> I'd gladly help you out with the website. Though I'm not really working with > linux. Yet, I'm just a Windows, Outlook and Photoshop lamer ;)
Well, if you're a newbie, then you should be spending your time learning your way around Linux :)) When you're comfortable with Linux, then we'll have some ways you can help. Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Technologies, Inc.