From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 17:11:22
1 On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 [...]
3 >
4 > This is not meant to imply that portage is always fast; there are plenty of
5 > other modules (such as the aforementioned backtracking) that can take a long
6 > time to find solutions. That is partially why you see Tomwij turning off
7 > that feature. It is helpful for users cause it can automatically find
8 > solutions for users that are otherwise unsolvable (and thus avoids the user
9 > having to find a solution to the depgraph manually.)
10
11 Yeah, correct. But it would be nice if Portage backtrack_depgraph()
12 would memoize (asynchronously serializing to disk, for instance)
13 partial results for later use.
14 AFAIR, last time I checked, it wasn't doing that.
15
16 Also, it would be nice if the aux_db cache of the vdb could be stored
17 in a sqlite3 db rather than in RAM. This dict is consuming a huge cut
18 of memory for little reason (a single vdb.dbapi.match() can eat 100MB
19 of RAM).
20 We know how Python deals with freed memory... Sigh...
23 > -A
27 >> --
28 >> Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
29 >> GPG fpr: F08D 2AF6 655E 25DE 52BC E53D 08F5 7F90 3029 B5BD
36 Fabio Erculiani