From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild, ip6tables headaches, kernel confusion, xinetd vs. tcpwrappers
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:16:31
1 On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:57:38AM -0700, Bill Anderson wrote:
2 : Hello all, new soon-to-be-trying-gentoo person here.
3 :
4 : Jerry A! wrote:
5 :
6 : > : 4. kernel confusion
7 : > : When all is said and done why not just go with 2.4.0 stable? My neophyte
8 : > : logic says that if it's a final kernel release that has been blessed by
9 : > : Linus than at the very least, it must be more stable than the 2.3.X series
10 : > : or the 2.4.0-testX series (I don't know where the ac1/2/3 fit into this).
11 : >
12 : > Ahh, grasshopper. When many release cycles you've been through, trust a
13 : > point-oh release you will not.
14 : >
15 :
16 : As compared to a prerelease test kernel?
17 : As someone who has been through many release cylces, I would have to
18 : dosagree, if that is your position.
19
20 Nah, just with Linux kernel. 8) It's like the limited testing that's
21 done shows everything as kosher. Then you move into a .0 release
22 version that gets wider use and more new and interesting bugs seem to
23 crop up. The funny thing about this release is that I've heard less
24 complaints about -test10 than I have about any version that followed it.
25
26 Certainly not empirical evidence--just observation...
27
28 --Jerry
29
30 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
31 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
32 email: jerry@××××××.com || ...It's much more important
33 || than that!