From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-headers-2.6* now linux26-headers
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:40:33
1 * Travis Tilley (lv@g.o) wrote:
2 > just a heads up - i've moved all the 2.6 header packages to
3 > sys-kernel/linux26-headers so that they can be keyworded without having them
4 > accidentally install on the system of a 2.4 kernel user. hopefully soon this
5 > will mean we can unmask the newer glibc ebuilds on x86, which have a dep on
6 > the 2.6 headers when using nptl (instead of using /usr/src/linux, which is
7 > problematic at best and quite often broken at worst).
8 >
9 > another note re: NPTL is that nptl no longer has a version number of it's own
10 > as of 2004-06-29. i'm guessing this means that ulrich drepper considers nptl
11 > to be fairly stable, but i dont think i'll be so quick to put words in his
12 > mouth. when i'm sure that everything's good and calm with the linux26-headers
13 > change i'll poke at making a new snapshot to see if it passes "make check"
14 > yet. :)
15
16 Following the announcement that the linux26 headers were now ~x86, I
17 decided to try them, along with the migration to nptl. After a (longish
18 ;-) ) emerge -e system, everything seems to work fine (I just had some
19 trouble starting X, but emerging nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel solved
20 it).
21
22 I know this is just a WFM message, but it might encourage others to try
23 it.
24
25 Alan Schmitt
28 The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
29 .O.
30 ..O
31 OOO