From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtual: virtual/pcmcia
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:26:27
1 On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 11:18 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Starting from linux-2.6.13-rc1 the PCMCIA subsystem has been patched to
5 > exports certain internals to sysfs, which allows using hotplug for
6 > handling insertion/ejection of 16bit PCMCIA cards.
7 >
8 > For this to work, a new package called pcmciautils [1] will need to be
9 > added to portage. Therefore, a new virtual/pcmcia (which will default to
10 > sys-apps/pcmcia-cs in base/virtuals for now) will be added as well.
11 >
12 > I have had sys-apps/pcmciautils in my portage overlay [2] for quite a
13 > while now, just waiting for the needed functionality to be merged into
14 > Linus' tree.
15 >
16 > The linux-mod eclass will be changed to depend on virtual/pcmcia for
17 > pcmcia support. Future ebuilds that just need a PCMCIA card manager
18 > should depend on virtual/pcmcia as well.
19 >
20 > If anybody has any objections and/or questions to this new virtual,
21 > please drop me an e-mail.
24 A bit late I know, but just for interest sake .. virtuals is usually
25 used when more than one package usually provides the same compatible
26 api/tool ... which basically means pcmcia-cs and pcmciautils do the same
27 thing and cannot be installed together ? Sorry if my non-pcmcia
28 cluedup-ness shows ...
31 Thanks,
34 Martin Schlemmer
35 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
36 Cape Town, South Africa