From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 17:25:17
1 On Saturday, April 9, 2016 5:11:30 PM CEST, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >>> ...
3 >> if we don't make it optional we're going to cause some serious headaches
4 >> for people who are invested in the current status quo.
5 >> ...
6 >
7 > gen_usr_ldscript is only needed if you are using separate /usr without
8 > an initramfs. This is unsupported and orthogonal to the usr merge.
9
10 just one addition: for having self-contained / with /usr on another
11 partition, you just need to move libfoo.so* to /lib; the ldscript is only
12 useful because the linker searches /usr/lib first then /lib, and if
13 libfoo.a is in /usr/lib, it picks that one.
14 IOW: gen_usr_ldscript is not needed without static libs, even for the case
15 you describe