From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] tcp-wrappers headache
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:05:58
1 Okay.
2 Tcp wrappers ( USE="tcpd" ) is currently a major headache both QA wise
3 and otherwise due to how most, if not all, autoconf scripts are
4 completely broken with regards to them.
5
6 There exists no real way to disable tcp-wrappers, and that causes all
7 packages that have a tcpd? () dependency and USE="-tcpd" to
8 completely break when built on a system with tcp-wrappers installed.
9
10 This is important for GRP sets and deptracking. one solution is to
11 hardcode the dependency for tcp-wrappers, as there isn't a reliable way
12 to disable it.
13
14 Other is to neglect this and hope it won't mention, then blame the
15 users/GRP sets as you have broken users systems and gnome, ssh, imap and
16 other things fail to startup.
19 Third and most desirable is to actually solve this. Either by fixing
20 autoconf scripts, or by doing ugly post-conf patching, but I don't have
21 the time to fix this myself, which means that I'm putting out a public
22 plea for some assistance.
25 Anyone who feel like digging into the mess that is auto* can you please
26 holler or dig in?
27
28 Targetted ebuilds are any that have tcp-wrappers in their DEPEND
29 strings. :-)
32 //Spider
35 begin .signature
36 Tortured users / Laughing in pain