From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintaining production systems - and losing ebuilds
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:24:21
1 On Tuesday 11 November 2003 21:53, Spider wrote:
2 >
3 > For corporate use, we know we can fork it. Thats not the issue. the
4 > issue is that we -will- fork things, and we need the baseline to -never
5 > ever- change. Because errata can then be merged into mainline at the
6 > corporates own time and developers will.
7 >
8 > This is actually a big hamstring with our current distribution model,
9 > that works great for homeusers and smaller servers, but badly prevents
10 > anyone from fully taking advantage of the flexibility of Gentoo.
11
12 There are certainly thought about this. Currently the main blocking factor of
13 this is developer time. At the moment the point that still has more priority
14 is general QA before we think we are even able to maintain a fixed tree. Of
15 course at the moment that we start offering the first fixed tree it is still
16 not advised for production use, but we hope to help gentoo reach the
17 enterprise too.
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze