From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 03:41:00
1 On 11/18/2012 10:06 PM, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 08:50:07PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 > It's a bizarre development model, I know. :)
7 Works better than Windows' model:
8 http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html
9
10 (Okay, old, and I know MS has since fixed this, but it's still funny)
13 >>> Note, a separate /usr has been broken for a while now, udev is just
14 >>> pointing the issue out. And again, if you want a separate /usr, just
15 >>> use an initrd, the solution is simple.
16 >>
17 >> ???? I have 4 "broken" Gentoo systems running just fine, without an
18 >> initrd, thank you. There have always been a few edge-case setups that
19 >> won't work with a separate /usr, without an initrd. What annoys me is
20 >> this dog-in-the-manger attitude that if a separate /usr is broken for a
21 >> few people, then by golly, it should be broken for everybody.
22 >
23 > Again, udev isn't the problem here. It hasn't broken the standalone
24 > /usr issue at all. There isn't anything in udev to change for this. I
25 > don't understand why you are thinking that udev has anything to do with
26 > this issue at all. It's other packages that are the problem here. Are
27 > people forking and changing them to resolve the problem? If not, why
28 > not?
29
30 Correct me if wrong, but didn't the issue start with udev wanting to put the
31 PCI ID database/file into /usr/share from /etc? Then kmod was changed to
32 link against libs in /usr/lib, and then udev made dependent on kmod? I
33 think that led to a scenario where openrc starts udev up before localmount
34 has run, and then things fall apart.
35
36 Not that I'm saying that implicates udev as the center of the sep-usr thing,
37 but if my memory is correct, that's kinda what got the ball rolling down the
38 hill. Or something close to it, anyways.
39
40 In any event, I did the switch to mdev, and it works. It is a hack, though,
41 I'll admit that. But if you're one of those types that runs a fairly
42 vanilla, not-very-fancy system that has had a separate /usr for a number of
43 years (2005 for most of my machines), it's a relatively painless transition
44 and it doesn't require the initramfs and it avoids having to
45 backup/format/restore each system. Obviously, if I need more advanced
46 functionality on any of my systems, I'll probably have to switch back, but
47 we'll see what the future holds.
50 Joshua Kinard
51 Gentoo/MIPS
52 kumba@g.o
53 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
54
55 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
56 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
57
58 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic