From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass: lacking sources, config checks and module building
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 09:29:59
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > It does NOT check /proc/config.gz presently. The original logic against
3 > not checking /proc was that we were targeting the kernel being built,
4 > but that's moot given the use of `uname -r` in OUTPUT_DIR.
5
6 That seems like a bug. OUTPUT_DIR should default to unset which would
7 cause the internal KV_OUT_DIR to be set to KV_DIR. However I can see
8 from the code that's not the case, and it's not clear why.
9
10 Relying on "uname -r" or /proc/config.gz is still something we should
11 avoid (unless user configured, perhaps, or in very exceptional
12 circumstances) however it looks like this isn't a change that you are
13 proposing.
14
15 Thanks for working on this. It's a sensitive area so please take care
16 and help people pick up the pieces. If you are really motivated, it
17 might be worth rethinking the whole separate output directory
18 implementation.
19
20 Daniel