From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Programs that depend on X libraries
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:02:29
1 Hello,
2
3 There has been a minor debate on #gentoo regarding where to install
4 programs that depend on X libraries. The trend in the ebuilds is
5 currently to install to /usr/X11R6.
6
7 I'd like to propose that programs should almost always install in /usr
8 rather than /usr/X11R6. My reasons follow:
9
10 (1) The FHS says: "This hierarchy is reserved for the X Window System,
11 version 11 release 6, and related files." IMHO that doesn't include
12 programs that are linked against the X libraries, just programs that
13 are delivered with the X distribution.
14
15 (2) Consistency with other major distributions. Both Red Hat and Debian
16 install programs (even those linked against X libraries) in /usr.
17 (For the most part... Deviations seem to be primarily historical.)
18
19 (3) Simplicity in the ebuilds. Consider the following scenarios:
20
21 * ebuild with multiple binaries, some of which link against X,
22 others that don't. Does the ebuild author split up the binaries?
23 If so, this becomes confusing to both the ebuild author (who has
24 to go through and distinguish one from the other) and to the
25 end-user (who might expect both prog and xprog to live in the same
26 location).
27
28 * ebuild with binary that optionally links to X. Does the ebuild
29 author put conditionals in the ebuild to install in either
30 /usr/X11R6 or /usr? If so, this again creates a confusing
31 situation for the end-user.
32
33 In both of these cases, it's easier to install to /usr and not worry
34 about either of the above.
35
36 (4) Potential to have multiple X distributions installed. Say for
37 instance that I like to have XFree86-3.3.6, XFree86-4.0.1, and
38 Accelerated-X installed. I might like to install these in
39 hierarchies under /usr/XFree86-3.3.6, /usr/XFree86-4.0.1, and
40 /usr/Accel-X, then create a symlink /usr/X11R6 that points to the
41 tree I'm using at the moment. All other technical concerns with
42 this scheme aside, this at least creates a problem for ebuilds that
43 like to install in /usr/X11R6.
44
45 Thanks,
46 Aron