From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 05:49:30
1 On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 21:46 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2
3 > BTW: if upstream has an proper VCS and an canonical tagging
4 > scheme, they don't actually have to create release tarballs,
5 > just hack up a little script which creates them on-the-fly
6 > from an canonical URL scheme (eg. oss-qm does exactly that).
7
8 This breaks badly when the upstream tarball generation is changed. This
9 happened to github a few months ago and broke all our manifests. To
10 their credit they quickly reverted what turned out to be a gratuitous
11 change, but if they ever need to make a real change we get to redigest
12 everything.
13
14 Kind regards,
15