From: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] media-gfx/freecad imminent removal (or act now!)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 09:01:54
1 FreeCAD was last-rited more than half a year ago, but actual removal was put
2 on hold because it still got several users, judging by bug participation, and
3 at one time we even got the dreaded qtwebkit:4 dependency patched out. At that
4 point however we had already moved on to working on Qt4 removal - masking of
5 which is now only days away.
6
7 # Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o> (16 Nov 2017)
8 # Depends on dead Qt4. Last-rites on hold for chance of Qt5-port. Bug #620702
9 <media-gfx/freecad-0.17
10
11 However, neither the original maintainer nor solid work on the necessary
12 dependencies have so far materialised in the bugs or the Gentoo ebuild
13 repository. The following bugs need to be solved -at least- to keep FreeCAD
14 available:
15
16 1) New package: sci-libs/libmed (look at science or fordfrog's overlay):
17 https://bugs.gentoo.org/597768
18
19 2) sci-libs/opencascade-7.2.0 version bump:
20 https://bugs.gentoo.org/610362
21
22 3) dev-python/pyside:2, dev-python/pyside-tools:2, dev-python/shiboken:2 (live
23 versions available in qt overlay) need to be worked on to getting into tree:
24 https://bugs.gentoo.org/624682
25
26 4) media-gfx/freecad-0.17 version bump (switch to qt5): The most promising
27 version of a 9999 ebuild may be found in fordfrog overlay:
28 https://bugs.gentoo.org/622726
29
30 Note that FreeCAD seems to have always been notoriously hard to package, so it
31 needs someone with dedication to work on it. If not, it will be gone together
32 with Qt4 rather soon, though I am sure it can have a second life on someone's
33 overlay even then.
34
35 Regards,
36 Andreas