From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone?
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:13:34
1 On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 22:14 +0200, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > in general you speak about the council but do you have any concrete
5 > plans/goals you want to achieve?
6
7 I think we are in the information gathering phase right now on how to
8 best proceed. So nothing concrete as of this point. More abstract ideas
9 at this point.
10
11 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>:
12 > > The dev population is quite a strange beast. I never expected to win.
13 >
14 > Nor did I, especially because you were quite low on my ballot.
15 > Congratulations.
16 >
17 > > The devs have a voice one time of the year: when it comes time to
18 > > vote. But what about the rest of the year? What happens when the
19 > > person you voted for sucks? You are mostly powerless to do anything
20 > > other than be really vocal in what seems like a never ending battle.
21 > > That needs to change. I'm not quite sure how. But I'd like to see the
22 > > dev body have a year-round voice in the council. Either via quick
23 > > votes year-round on topics or simply by having discussion in the
24 > > channel. Devs should have a right to voice their concerns to the
25 > > council and engage in interactive conversations without being labeled
26 > > troll.
27 >
28 > We have the forums for quick votes, votify is too much to get a
29 > picture of opinions. So use -dev-announce and forums.
30 >
31 > > Another one of the things I'd like to see and help reform with the
32 > > council. First off it spends way too much time on EAPI/PMS. There is
33 > > no reason to make the council an extension of the portage team.
34 >
35 > As member of the PMS team I agree, we have to reach out to more
36 > people. No matter how well Ciaran does the job as editor-in-chief
37 > the process needs to be broadened to involve other groups, too.
38 >
39 > > For example prefix comes to mind. It was a project I did not like at
40 > > first. I'm not even a user. And there are things I surely don't like
41 > > about it as is. But there is community support and it's the icing on
42 > > the cake for some. So I'll back the fsck up and give credit where
43 > > it's due. This is a perfectly good example of a project/fork that
44 > > needs to come back home. Perhaps it's time to cherry pick some more
45 > > stuff/people out of Sunrise?
46 >
47 > Fully agree here, my devhood is a product of Sunrise.
48 >
49 > > desultory points out any two council members can decide to approve
50 > > anything, and that decision is considered to be equivalent to a full
51 > > council vote until the next meeting. I vaguely recall that rule. I'm
52 > > not sure about you, but I think that is a little to much power to put
53 > > in the hands of a few. Any dev mind if we dump that power?
54 >
55 > Maybe extend that to three, but leave such a emergency measure in
56 > place.
57 >
58 > > Meetings will likely go back to one time per month and be +m with +v
59 > > be handed out per request with open chat pre/post meetings. The
60 > > reason for this is to keep the meetings on-track. I won't engage in
61 > > endless discussions. Facts can be presented. They will be reviewed on
62 > > merit, technical and social.
63 >
64 > Agree.
65 >
66 > > The reason the meetings should go back to monthly is to allow those
67 > > who are council members in Gentoo to accomplish things other than the
68 > > council only. We all have personal lives and we all have our
69 > > respective roles we play outside of the council. Another note on
70 > > meetings. The time they are held currently don't fit well with my
71 > > work schedule.
72 >
73 > That you have to discuss with your fellow council members.
74 >
75 > > So lets have some damn fun again !@#$
76 >
77 > Oh yeah!