From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:32:04
1 On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:10 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Over the years we've had a fairly consistent stream of suggestions that
3 > we should open up the e-build maintaining process to users instead of
4 > just devs. The main arguments against it are the security issues and an
5 > expectation that it would add to developer workloads. The former is
6 > certainly a real problem, although signing (assuming a reasonable
7 > web-of-trust) could mitigate that some (at least we'd know who to
8 > blame). The latter, however, is conjecture, and the only good way to
9 > verify it would be to actually try it and see what happens. Oh, and
10 > there's also a very real fear that if things go horribly wrong, that
11 > Gentoo's reputation would suffer quite badly. Perhaps I'm naive, but I
12 > tend to think that if we were to advertise project sunrise as
13 > experimental, temporary, use-at-your-own-risk, and
14 > might-break-your-system, and even put it on hardware without a
15 > gentoo.org address and add a portage hook that warns whenever the
16 > project sunrise overlay is used, then our reputation isn't really likely
17 > to suffer even if it's a complete disaster.
18 >
19 > So, Chris, what have I failed to address that would make this a really
20 > bad idea?
21
22 That this describes break-my-gentoo, that it is as old as Gentoo itself
23 and that it only creates problems for the 'supported' tree : the
24 unexplained bugs, the weird errors, the continuous suspicion devs need
25 to have on reported errors. Keep that stuff separated, don't mingle it
26 with Gentoo.
27
28 - foser