From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: initramfs required on Linux systems with separate /usr
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:50:32
1 On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 05:39:44PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > William Hubbs posted on Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:10:49 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > If you have / and /usr on separate file systems and you are not
5 > > currently using an initramfs, you must set one up before this date.
6 > > Otherwise, at some point on or after this date, upgrading packages will
7 > > make your system unbootable.
8 > Otherwise, at some point on or after this date, a package update MAY make
9 > your system unbootable, and should it do so you'd be on your own, as
10 > gentoo will no longer be considering that a bug that it must fix.
11
12 s/may/will/
13 s/should it do so/when it does/
14
15 It isn't a matter of something *may* break if you don't take action,
16 something *will* break.
17
18 Yes, there has been a lot of debate on the mls, but no news item has
19 ever been sent out on the subject, so I think sending out a news
20 item makes things more official in itself.
21
22 I have about an hour before I want to push this newsitem, so please
23 respond soon.
24
25 Does anyone else think I should make the change Duncan suggests, with
26 the substitutions I pointed out?
27
28 Thanks,
29